[Endcreditsfilm] The Way - a film starring El Camino and northern Spain

Brynn Mathews brynnmathews at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 28 23:54:31 CEST 2012

Now showing at the Grafton St City Cinemas - The Way, a film by Emilio
Estevez starring his father Martin Sheen as one of four pilgrims walking the
Camino; 800 kilometres from the French Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela in
Spain's north-west corner.  The story is a typical road movie, with the four
pilgrims all from different countries and with different motives and
expectations for their journey, but the countryside and the Camino itself
lift this movie above being just another road movie.

So if you've ever done*, or wanted to do, the Camino, see this film and just
let the landscape absorb you as it does the four pilgrims and the demons
they carry with them.

Brynn Mathews
End Credits Film Club
PO Box 2663
Cairns  QLD  4870
Australia

email:  brynn at endcredits.org.au
website:    www.endcredits.org.au

* I  found myself on the Camino during a trip through northern Spain in
1978-9.  I'd never heard of it before but was so taken by the idea of
following a pilgrimage route more than 1,000 years old that I eventually got
to Santiago de Compostela by a circuitous route using buses and trains.  I
even placed my hand in the imprint worn by the many thousands of pilgrims
that had preceded me over the centuries and yes, like in the movie, it did
feel very special and spiritual.