[Endcreditsfilm] UNSEEN CINEMA I DANIEL BLAKE

End Credits Film Club admin at endcredits.org.au
Mon Feb 27 01:35:04 CET 2017

Ken Loach (director) and Paul Laverty (writer) continue their successful collaboration with I, DANIEL BLAKE.
Awarded the Cannes Film festival Palme D’or in 2016 the veteran filmmakers once again bring to the screen a moving story from the heartland of the UK which has powerful resonance with contemporary issues here in Australia.

JIMMY’S HALL, the previous Ken Loach film we screened was a sell out session so you'd be advised to get your tickets early.
CoCA Door sales open at 3:30pm Sun 5 March
Advance purchase tickets can be booked by phone 40881010 or ONLINE HERE <http://www.centre-of-contemporary-arts-cairns.com.au/events/film.php>

4:30pm Sunday March 5
I DANIEL BLAKE
Dir. Ken Loach- UK (MA) 100 mins
In English

Winner - Palme d'Or - 2016 Cannes Film Festival

Daniel Blake (59) has worked as a joiner most of his life in Newcastle. Now, for the first time ever, he needs help from the State.

He crosses paths with a single mother Katie and her two young children, Daisy and Dylan. Katie’s only chance to escape a one-roomed homeless hostel in London has been to accept a flat in a city she doesn’t know, some 300 miles away.

Daniel and Katie find themselves in no-man’s land, caught on the barbed wire of welfare bureaucracy.

Writer: Paul Laverty (screenplay).

★★★★★ A battle cry for the dispossessed.
Mark Kermode – THE OBSERVER

★★★★½ Loach has made one of his finest films.
David Stratton – THE AUSTRALIAN

Given it’s Oscars week if too much film is hardly enough CoCA is also hosting the OCEANS FILM FESTIVAL, a collection of the latest films on and under the sea from the folks at BANFF Adventure Films. Tickets and info here <http://www.centre-of-contemporary-arts-cairns.com.au/events/film.php>.

Brett’s Oscar tip:
I doubt it will surprise any of the favourites, but best picture nominated HELL OR HIGH WATER was one of my personal favourites in 2016. If you haven’t seen it seek it out, especially if Jeff Bridges as a Texas Ranger in pursuit of a couple of bank robbers with unusual motivations is your kind of thing. It’s a very smart  movie.

m - 0427103148
t - 0740559538
End Credits Film Club
admin at endcredits.org.au