[Endcreditsfilm] ALTAR - Canning Paradise - film screening 12 April 6:30pm

End Credits Film Club admin at endcredits.org.au
Tue Mar 21 00:19:41 CET 2017

Further film for thought from ALTAR at JCU.
Screenings are free and open to the public

Dear ALTAR members and friends,

Our Anthropocene film series continues with Olivier Pollet's Canning Paradise (2012).

Wednesday 12 April, 6:30pm, The Cairns Institute Lecture Theatre

This feature-length documentary concerns the global tuna industry and the world’s biggest export markets. Set in the north-eastern part of Papua New Guinea, the film follows the struggle of local communities to protect their fishing grounds and future livelihood.

We welcome our second guest speaker, Dr Simon Foale, JCU lecturer and researcher at the College of Arts, Society & Education, and the Centre for Tropical Biodiversity & Climate Change to introduce the film. Dr Foale will talk about ecological, economic and political aspects of the increasing importance of pelagic fisheries for food security and livelihoods in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands.

The director Olivier Pollet will join us for discussion on Skype after the screening.

The screening is free and open to the public.

More info: http://www.cairnsinstitute.jcu.edu.au/upcoming-events/canning-paradise/ <http://www.cairnsinstitute.jcu.edu.au/upcoming-events/canning-paradise/>
Join us: www.facebook.com/groups/AltarFilms <https://www.facebook.com/groups/AltarFilms>

Sincerely,

Daniela

Dr. Daniela Vavrova

http://rachel.reflectangulo.net <http://rachel.reflectangulo.net/>
https://espaces.edu.au/altar <https://espaces.edu.au/altar>
 <https://espaces.edu.au/altar>https://espaces.edu.au/av-lab <https://espaces.edu.au/av-lab>

+61-⁠(0)7-⁠4232 1882 (Australia, office)
+61-⁠(0)4-⁠205 93 462 (Australia, mobile)

The Cairns Institute
James Cook University
P.O.Box 6811
Cairns, QLD 4870